Image Map

I'm Not Really A Writer

OPI had it right years ago when they released their classic nail color "I'm Not Really A Waitress". I remember thinking, what? What does that even mean? 


Man, to woman: "Mam, those are some lovely red nails you've got there."


Woman, to man: "Oh, thank you! Listen, I know what you're thinking, judging by my nail color but I have a little secret..." She leans in and whispers, "I'm not really a waitress!"


Until then I had no idea that a slightly cool-toned shimmery red nail color mean imminent career pigeonhole-ing from strangers, but I admire OPI for thinking outside the box. Every time I do a pedicure or manicure at work and my client picks out their color, the first thing we both want to know is, what's the name? 


Barefoot In Barcelona? Perfect, I'll take that one. 


An Affair in Times Square? Hmmm, what else have you got?


A Butterfly Moment? Oh, yes please!


And if it isn't fun enough picking out a color that matches your present state of mind, they always have their "collections". Skyfall, Mariah Carey, South Beach. Today, I'm feeling a little 'Neon Revolution". Anyway, you get it.


OPI is all about shock value. It is what makes them memorable and sets them apart. And let's be honest, most women love painting their nails. So when a woman absolutely falls in love with a color called "Pack Your Booty Shorts" is she likely to forget it? Not a chance. Will she compare it to knock-off colors and possibly ask a random Meijer employee if they have a nail color similar to OPI's Pack Your Booty Shorts? Absolutely, no shame. After all, she didn't name it. It's all OPI's fault!


So here you are reading my blog post about nail color, and yes I am in the girlie industry of Cosmetology, but I also have a confession to make. I know you must be thinking that since I have a blog I must be a writer, but the truth is, I'm not. At least, not yet. 


GASP!!


Are you shocked? Ha, probably not. But here is where I'm at. 


I love making memories, and memorable things. I love thinking outside the box. I love adventure and shock value. I love originality and creativity. I love playfulness in the little things, like nail polish color names. Even though I'm not really a writer, I endeavor to find a way to articulate my love of simple adventures in everyday life. 


I already feel refreshed.


Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It's so interesting that you don't consider yourself a writer, and yet you have such a strong 'voice' when you write! I feel like I can really hear your words... how you're saying them and how they are meant to be heard. That is really a gift, Linds!

    ReplyDelete