Image Map

Distinction

I will admit, there have been quite a few times when I have fallen victim to comparing myself to other women. Not in the typical sense of physical appearance or possessions, but in matters of the heart. More specifically, a broken heart.

I have many friends who married their first love, and I think that is so wonderful. I notice in them the spark of innocence, liveliness, and joy that comes with never having had your heart broken...the spark I used to have. Because if you have experienced a broken heart, you know that something changes inside you. You are not the same person as before, because a part of you is missing and now you're left to piece your heart back together, yet it never quite looks the same.

This is what I envy most in other women- a whole, unbroken heart. Yet today, in a quote from a movie I have seen countless times, a ray of sunshine shone in this dark place in my heart:

"A girl likes to be crossed in love now and then. It gives her something to think of, a... distinction amongst her companions." -Mr. Bennett, Pride and Prejudice

Ahhhh. Those words are like fresh water to a thirsty heart. I cannot change the past, so I am choosing to be grateful for the experiences that shaped who I am now and for the depth those experiences rendered my soul.

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment